Senior Optical-Mechanical Engineer
The Carnegie Observatories (a department of the Carnegie Institution for Science) is a non-profit, world-class astronomical institution, with its office located in Pasadena, California.
The Observatories operates 1.0 meter, 2.5 meter, and twin 6.5-meter optical telescopes at its Las Campanas Observatory (LCO) located in Chile. Websites: obs.carnegiescience.edu, carnegiescience.edu, lco.cl.
Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer
Carnegie Observatories seeks an experienced Opto-Mechanical Engineer to work full-time with Carnegie astronomer instrumentalists and engineers to design, build and commission optical and infrared instruments for use with telescopes at Las Campanas Observatory in Chile. Current and planned projects are focused on the twin 6.5-meter Magellan telescopes and the 25-meter Giant Magellan Telescope, currently under construction. Projects involving both 1- and 2.5-meter telescopes are also under consideration. The Senior Engineer will work in Pasadena, California and will travel as needed, both domestically and internationally.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field and eight years of work experience
- Demonstrated design and construction experience with optical and/or infrared astronomical instrumentation
- Proficient using CAD software, preferably Solidworks
- Strong hand and visual skills for instrument assembly and alignment
- Ability to use common hand tools, manual and powered
- Ability to work at 8000 feet altitude
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Legal ability to work with export controlled (ITAR) items
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in alignment and evaluation of multi-element optical systems
- Comfort working both as part of a multidisciplinary team and independently with minimal supervision.
Desired skills and qualifications
- Finite element analysis
- Thermal flow and radiation analysis
- Experience with Zemax
- Project management.
Only electronic applications submitted through this site will be considered. Click the "Apply Now" button below to begin the process.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by May 1, 2017, when application review will begin. However, this position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Salary is negotiable based on qualifications and experience.
Carnegie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.